Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Vintage Photos

Freda, Mae, Roz, around 1924, West Adams

Since I missed posting some vintage photos last Friday, I thought I'd post a few today. Recently I was running errands over by USC. On my way back to Mid-City, I remembered that Mom had given me her childhood address in the West Adams area of L.A. The house was right on my way home!

Side of the House, Second Ave., LA w/ Freda, Mae and Roz

I found 3605 Second Ave., LA very easily. The house looks like it hasn't changed a bit. Of course, we don't have a photo of the house from the 1920's, just portions of the house with my Mom and her older sister, Mae, along with their Mother, Freda in front of it. Many of the photos are on the front lawn parkway, looking across the street to the other houses. Next time I drive thru the area, I'll photograph the houses across the street from Mom's house and see if they match up!

Roz and Mae, Front Steps, Second Avenue

This block of houses are classic craftsman style bungalows, probably built in the late 1890's to around 1918. It's quite amazing that this block is intact. Today this house has lots of trash cans in front, but you can still see the lines of the craftsman bungalow design.

3605 Second Avenue, West Adams, 2011

You can read more about this area here. The West Adams Heritage Association is devoted to preservation of this historic section of Los Angeles. WAHA offers all sorts of events throughout the year, one faboo one being the West Adams Home Tour and Progressive Holiday Dinner at Christmastime.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:34 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Your mom looks like a doll! Seriously cute.

 
At 4:40 PM PST, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

LOVE these old photos. Don't you wish you could go inside? The house across the street in the first picture matches up exactly, I checked Google maps! I'm intrigued by your mom's shoes.

 
At 4:45 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

What wonderful photos!! I remember how hard it was for me to believe that my parent or grandparent had ever been a child. Not so much anymore :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery