Monday, February 07, 2011

Super Bowl of Crochet

Apple Pie Spice Cake

Yesterday, the Sometimes Sunday SnB group came by for snacks and stitchin'. We watched the commercials and half-time show on the Super Bowl Extravaganza. We had so much fun, that I forgot to snap some photos!
In addition to numerous savory snacks, I made a mini-version of Charles Phoenix's Cherpumple. The Cherpumple is an amazing cake which consists of three layers. This recipe was inspired by Paul Prudomme's Turducken. The Cherpumple layers are: A pumpkin pie inside a spice cake; an apple pie inside a yellow cake and a cherry pie inside a white cake. All are layered on top of each other with frosting in-between the layers and then covered with frosting and decorated as desired. It's an amazing feat of engineering to get this cake upright. You can see heroic examples of fan cakes here.
I decided to just make a single layer pie cake. I couldn't locate my standard cake pan, so I used a bundt pan. I had to improvise and cut out a circle in the center of the pie so it would fit into the bundt form. I used a Sara Lee Apple Pie and a Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix. I frosted the bundt with a bit of buttercream frosting. It really turned out great! Thanks for the idea, Mr. Phoenix!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:41 PM PST, Anonymous Twilight said...

That looks delicious!

 
At 9:34 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

That's hysterical but I bet delicious. How could it not be?

 
At 8:22 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

I love your ingenuity with the bundt pan. It makes for an even better surprise with the pie in the middle. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery